Updated 17 April 2007
- Content Management for Dynamic Web Delivery, by JoAnn T. Hackos
- Wiley, 2002, ISBN 0471085863. Order from Amazon.com.
- Designing Web Navigation: Optimizing the User Experience, by Jim Kalbach
- O’Reilly Media, 2007, ISBN 978-0596528102. Order from Amazon.com
- Don’t make me think: a common sense approach to Web usability, by Steve Krug
- Second edition, New Riders Press, 2005, ISBN 0321344758.
I was most impressed by this short book’s clear statement of the issues and the examples the author presents of typical Web sites, inviting the reader to identify what’s wrong with them and how to fix them, followed by one or several variations that he suggests. Order from Amazon.com
- The Elements of User Experience, by Jesse James Garrett
- “User-Centered Design for the Web,” New Riders Press, 2002, ISBN 0735712026. Order from Amazon.com
- Eyetracking Web Usability, by Jakob Nielsen and Kara Pernice
- New Riders Publishing, 2008, ISBN 978-0321498366. Order from Amazon.com.
- Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed, by Jakob Nielsen and Marie Tahir
- New Riders Publishing, 2001, ISBN 073571102X.
Analyzes the home (first) pages of 50 Web sites, from a wide variety of organizations and companies, and suggests improvements. The authors describe their guidelines and give examples. Order from Amazon.com
- Information architecture for the World Wide Web, by Peter Morville and Louis Rosenfeld
- Third edition, O’Reilly Media, 2006, ISBN 0596527349. Order from Amazon.com
- Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works, by Janice (Ginny) Redish
- Morgan Kaufmann, 2007, ISBN 978-0123694867. Order from Amazon.com
- Prioritizing Web Usability, by Jakob Nielsen and Hoa Loranger
- New Riders Press, 2006, ISBN 0321350316. Updated version of Nielsen’s “Designing Web Usability: The Practice of Simplicity” (1999). Order from Amazon.com
- Web Accessibility, by Andrew Kirkpatrick et al.
- “Web Standards and Regulatory Compliance,” friends of ED, 2006, ISBN 1590596382. Order from Amazon.com
- Web navigation: designing the user experience, by Jennifer Fleming
- O’Reilly & Associates, 1998, ISBN 1565923510. Order from Amazon.com
- Web style guide, by Patrick J. Lynch and Sarah Horton
- “Basic design principles for creating Web sites,” Second edition, Yale University Press, 2002, ISBN 0300088981, Review of first edition. Order from Amazon.com
- Writing for Multimedia and the Web, by Timothy Garrand
- “A Practical Guide to Content Development for Interactive Media,”
Third Edition, Focal Press, 2006, ISBN 0240808223. Order from Amazon.com
- Writing for the Web, by Crawford Kilian
- Third edition, Self-Counsel Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1551807386, Review of first edition. Order from Amazon.com
- Writing for the Web: A Practical Guide, by Cynthia L. Jeney
- Prentice Hall, 2006, ISBN 0131192361. Order from Amazon.com
- Is the Help Helpful?, by Jean Hollis Weber
- “How to create online help that meets your users’ needs”, Hentzenwerke, 2004, ISBN 1930919603.
Order from the publisher or from Amazon.com
This book has won the Best of Show award in the 2005 Technical Publications Competition conducted by the Australia Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication and an award of Excellence in the STC’s International Technical Publications Competition, 2006.
Amazon.com gift certificates
You can search here for any books, music, videos, or other items you need.