Electronically indicating approvals or rejections of editorial changes
This technique (involving two macros) works in Word97, but not in Word6 or 7/95. The requirement is to indicate (for audit purposes) whether an editorial change was accepted or rejected by the author or other authority.
Here's the procedure to record the macros:
- Record or copy the macros to the document template. Put a button on a
toolbar for each macro. I called the macros Yes and No.
- Select Tools > Track Changes > Highlight Changes and click the Options
button. For Inserted Text and Deleted Text, choose "By author" as the color.
- Make sure Track Changes While Editing is turned on, and display the Reviewing
toolbar (View > Toolbars > Reviewing).
- Go to the start of the file and click the "Next Change" button. The highlight
jumps to the first insertion or deletion.
- Click either the Yes button or the No button, to indicate acceptance or
rejection of the editorial change.
The Yes macro inserts a checkmark (tick) just after the change; the No macro inserts a cross in a box just after the change (when recording the macros, you could choose any symbols you prefer). Both macros then jump to the next change.
The checks and crosses appear in a different color, and the ScreenTips for them will show the auditor's name -- assuming, of course, that the User Information for Word (Tools > Options > User Information) has the correct information in it.
Procedure to run the macros:
- Start running this by going to the beginning of the file and clicking
the "Next Revision" icon on the Reviewing toolbar.
- The first change is highlighted. Click the Yes or No button on the toolbar.
- The appropriate symbol (here either a tick (check mark) or a cross in
a box, both from the Wingdings font) is inserted just after the change,
and the highlight jumps to the next change.
- Continue until you reach the end of the file.
Here's the macro.
Sub Yes() ' ' Yes Macro ' Accept previously marked change. ' Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1 Selection.InsertSymbol Font:="Wingdings", _ CharacterNumber:=-3844, Unicode:=True Selection.NextRevision (True) End Sub Sub No() ' ' No Macro ' Reject previously marked change ' Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1 Selection.InsertSymbol Font:="Wingdings", _ CharacterNumber:=-3843, Unicode:=True Selection.NextRevision (True) End Sub